Home – Blog – Actualidad: Cavas de Paraje Calificado, a reality
Cava de Paraje Calificado is a reality
• The Ministry of Agriculture, Fishing, Food and Environment, Isabel García Tejerina, announced yesterday during the 2nd Cava Excellence Awards the name of the first 12 Cavas de Paraje Calificado.
García Tejerina said the Ministry has proceeded with due diligence so Cava de Paraje Calificado could become a reality as soon as possible”. In fact, she had already signed the ministerial order to be published in the State Official Bulletin. Then, she announced the names of the first qualified estates where these exceptional cavas, Cava de Paraje Calificado, are going to be produced.
Twelve Qualified Estates have been approved in the first phase belonging to nine producing companies which, after a thorough examination process, have obtained the recognition.
“It’s been a very detailed process for the companies, the Regulatory Board and the Ministry of Agriculture for the last three years”, said Pedro Bonet, chairman of the Cava Regulatory Board.
In June 2016 the Regulatory Board announced this new category of cavas and explained their characteristics after the publication of the specifications document to both media and industry.
Once the Royal Decree developing the requisites was published in March 2017, the Regulatory Board began to receive definitive applications by the producing companies. These applications were later sent to the Ministry of Agriculture.
Through all the process the producing companies received counselling by the Cava Regulatory Board when they had to draft their applications dossiers. Later, the companies presented their candidacies before an experts committee including:
- Pedro Ballesteros MW
- Lenka Sedlackova MW
- Ferran Centelles
- Guillermo Cruz
- Joan Miquel Canals
- Enric Vives
- Ramon Francàs
The Cava de Paraje Calificado taste is very peculiar. It is designed to examine different aspects of a wine, including color, visual aspect and carbonic texture, complexity, persistence and evolution of flavors, structure and balance. It is conceived to examine all the representative elements of a single estate.
Once the tasting was done, the applications were submitted to the Ministry of Agricultre which, after looking at them, proceeded to the recognition of the following Cava de Paraje Calificado:
QUALIFIED ESTATE / COMPANY/ CAVA DE PARAJE CALIFICADO
- VINYES DE CAN MARTI / TORELLÓ / GRAN TORELLÓ and 225
- TURÓ D’EN MOTA / RECAREDO/ TURÓ D’EN MOTA
- SERRALL DEL VELL / RECAREDO / SERRAL DEL VELL
- VALLCIRERA / ALTA ALELLA / MIRGIN
- LA CAPELLA / JUVE & CAMPS / LA CAPELLA
- CAN SALA AGRÍCOLA / CASA SALA/ CASA SALA
- LA PLETA / CODORNIU / LA PLETA
- EL TROS NOU / CODORNIU / EL TROS NOU
- LA FIDEUERA / CODORNIU / LA FIDEUERA
- CAN PRATS / VINS EL CEP / CLAROR
- FONT DE JUI / GRAMONA / ENOTECA, CELLER BATLLE, III LUSTROS
- TERROJA / SABATÉ I COCA / SABATÉ I COCA RESERVA FAMILIAR
The next step will be the appropriate labelling of bottles with the distinctive control elements the Cava Regulatory Board has designed specifically for this category. After the labelling, the cavas can be sold in all markets.
The application process for a Cava de Paraje Calificado is open to new companies and estates for the second phase.
“Cava de Paraje Calificado represents the top of the quality sparkling wines globally and closes a process of global recognition to the excellence of premium cavas”, said Pedro Bonet.
Source: Consejo Regulador del Cava